What does a bedside sing look like?
Grace Notes, yesterday & todayGrace Notes Hospice Choir was established January 2011 by Conie from Points Of Light Music in partnership with Asera Care Hospice. In February 2014 Conie handed over the leadership baton to dedicated volunteers who continue to sing on Monday nights. Always open to new members, contact Volunteer Coordinator Jessica.Lewis@AseraCare.com for the current rehearsal location, where the next 5th Monday potluck is, and when upcoming volunteer orientations will be held.
We meet on Monday nights.
- On the first and third Mondays Grace Notes rehearse at a private home in South Minneapolis, typically during the fall, winter, and spring months.
- On the second and fourth Mondays, available singers visit folks on hospice services with AseraCare at Twin Cities nursing homes. Due to the vulnerable people we sing for these are closed events.
- If there's a fifth Monday (about every quarter), we have a potluck with our supporters and anyone who is interested in our work to share stories, sing more, and eat good food! If you'd like an invite to our next potluck, please contact Jessica.Lewis@AseraCare.com.
Volunteer RequirementsIf this interests you, please contact Jessica.Lewis@AseraCare.com for more information about joining Grace Notes. You'll need to fulfill the following volunteer requirements for AseraCare and Grace Notes to sing at the bedside.
AseraCare - Beginning
- On-line Courses (6-8 hrs)
- Orientation and Companion Training (2 sessions) -- Offered in February, May, August, and November, please RSVP 30 days beforehand
- 2 letters of reference
- 2 mantoux (TB) tests (paid by Asera Care)
- Drug test (paid by Asera Care)
- Criminal background check
AseraCare - Ongoing
- Mandatory in-person training annually
- Annual mantoux symptom questionnaire
- Quarterly online training
- Copy of current/valid driver’s license
- Updated car insurance verification
- Optional quarterly volunteer meeting
Contact Jessica.Lewis@AseraCare.com for more information about this and other volunteer opportunities with AseraCare.
- Complete AseraCare’s Volunteer Requirements
- Demonstrate ability to sing in unison with others
- Demonstrate ability to sing hold one’s part in harmony with others
- Demonstrate ability to be present and attend to the needs of one’s self, our sing recipient, the singing group, and others in attendance
Grace Notes is funded, in part, by the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund as appropriated by the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the vote of the people of Minnesota on November 4, 2008.