Here is a list of the songs Good Trouble led at the Songs for Truth Telling, New Narratives, and Cultural Composting workshop session at the Overcoming Racism Conference organized by the Facilitating Racial Equity Collaborative (FREC) in St. Paul, on Saturday afternoon, November 12, 2022.
- I did not come here alone (The Peace Poets)
- Somebody’s Hurtin’ my brother (Yara Allen) - in We Rise (see below)
- The Center Will Hold (words: inspired from introduction to Brene Brown's Atlas of the Heart/music: clb)
- We Keep Us Safe (Liz Digitale Anderson)
- Always (Grace Lee Boggs as quoted in Emergent Strategies by adrienne maree brown/Nathan Holst)
- This is the Moment (Peace Poets)
- Thy Light is in all forms (words: Hazrat Inayat Khan/Music: Yakzan Valdez)
- When Times Are Hard (Liz Digitale Anderson)
- We get there together (Or never get there at all) (Josh Blaine)
We Rise: A Movement Songbook from the Poor People's Campaign
- Justice Choir Songbook - compiled and edited by Twin Cities musicians Abby Betinis, Tesfa Wondemagegnehu, and Ahmed Fernando Anzaldua.
- Showing Up for Racial Justice
doesn't have a songbook, per se, but recorded this event, Music for Healing and Sustenance: Songs For and By White AccomplicesCall to Action and Creation for White Cultural Workers toolkit at that time. The website, https://www.whiteartistsforracialjustice.org/, is no longer available, but they have this Instagram and email sign up form for white artists to caucus and hear about calls to action.
Peace Poets - https://thepeacepoets.com/
- People's Echo - website | listen | songbook
- Thrive Street Choir - website - scroll to the bottom of the page for their songbook/table of 60+ songs. Be sure to scroll to the right to find links to some of the songs and more details.
- https://shireenamini.com -
they have a virtual beginner/intermediate drumming for community singing class on Dec 11. Check it out here!
- Liz Digitale Anderson - https://soundcloud.com/lizdigitaleanderson
- CajonTabs by Louson Drum - Conie has a 12" CajonTab; Liz has one of the Pro series. Get to know a bit of the cajon's musical history here. Use Liz's affiliate link to get 10% off!
This is the instrument we were playing as folks were arriving. Part of the family of drone instruments, like the bagpipes and harmoniums, Shrutibox.com is run by Ron Kravitz of https://www.musicinthemoment.com/ in Philadelphia, PA
We would be totally jazzed to be invited to lead song too; let us know if partnering that way would be beneficial for you and your organization/movement. Email us at goodtrouble at pointsoflightmusic dot net.
Love in truth telling and new narratives,
Post a Comment