If you're reading this you might have attended the "Exercising Our Voices & Bodies Toward Liberation: Call & Response Community Singing & Theater of the Oppressed" workshop at the Saturday, July 1, Let's Get Free Together series of Education for Liberation MN in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Here is a list of songs we sang with links to online recordings and related resources.
- I did not come here alone (The Peace Poets)
- Welcome to the chaos (clb) - the link is to the original. We substituted "chaos" for 'table' and "be free" for 'to the feast'.
- Which Side Are you On/We're on the Freedom Side (Florence Reece, 1931) - be sure to watch the whole 8 minute video to hear both the original version and the BLM update with "We're on the freedom side" response (c. 5:00). More videos of Pete Seeger, Ani DiFranco.
- Healing is Possible (Orion Johnstone)
- Our Liberation (Peace Poets) - studio version featuring Carami Hilaire
- Theater of the Oppressed (Augusto Boal) - read a succinct summary on Center for Applied Theater's website
- We Rise: A Movement Songbook, compiled by the Poor People's Campaign.
- Full Voice: Five Elements of the Voice - the opening vocal exploration with the shruti box (shrutibox.com) is based on this work.
Please be in touch if you would like to have Good Trouble lead a workshop like this for your community or if you have questions or comments from our time together!
Check out the rest of the Let's Get Free Together programming Education for Liberation Minnesota is doing 10a-2p every Saturday of July 2023!